Rummage through my stuff

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Power Placement: #15 Power Rangers Operation Overdrive



Alright everyone it is time for me to say I don’t like something that was made by people with more talent and who make more money then I do....YAY.....ahem...okay.  So it’s time to look at Operation Overdrive...which a lot of ranger fans see as the worst Power Rangers title...and for the most part they are right...I do think there is some good to this show....it’s just not much.

So let’s start with a look at the theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrA-VD5-540  .
I have to say I kind of like this theme....I mean it’s not great....it’s really repetitive, but the rap/hip hop sound fits the theme better then it did in an earlier series...but I will get to that one later. It kind of does what a theme should do be catchy..which it was that theme was stuck in my head long after I finished the show. GO RANGERS GO RANGERS GO GO GO......my word that was stuck in my head for weeks.  I would be mowing the lawn annnnnndddd.....GO RANGERS GO RANGERS GO GO GO....but anyway the other thing it does is gives you a small bit of the story. So in that it was effective.

So now let me tell you the basic story...which is easy. Two evil brothers Flurious and Moltar try to steal the Corona Aurora and it’s five jewels....which I guess gave you great power or something...you know this powerful item that is all powerful or whatever. So the brothers are looking for the jewels...so are the rangers....and then so is Miratrix who needs them to free her Master  Kamdor, then an alien shows up to help the rangers, then a couple creatures called Fear Cats join in the hunt named Mig and Benglo, and then the son of Lord Zedd and Rita show up...but I will get to that later.

Here is what I think of the costumes......EH. I mean they aren’t bad..I do like the helmets and the little accents on the costume....but over all eh. There is to much white on it. It just isn’t that great. So I am just going to move one.

Who is my favorite Ranger...good question...none of them really have much personality. So I guess it has to go with who is the coolest, and that is Will the Black Ranger....who is also Black bum bum bum...Now why Will, because he is the strongest, the best fighter, and actually takes on one of the Big Baddies on his own and winning. So I think that gives him the advantage over everyone else.

Now who don’t I like....everyone else. They don’t have much personality other then the one basic trait....and they aren’t likeable enough to pull it off. We have Mack who is the Red Ranger and just kind of the blank slate leader. Rose the Pink Ranger who is the Smart one.  Ronnie the Yellow Ranger...who despite her name is female, she is the extreme one. Dax is an “actor” he is the blue ranger...and is the comic relief one....and the finally there is the alien..Alex Mack....okay Tyzonn but you might as well call him Alex Mack since he turns into a silver goo.

What did or didn’t like about the show...I will start with what I did like....Okay I liked the Butler Spencer. He was funny helpful and a master of disguise. I liked most of the big bad guys.  Flurious, Moltar, and Kamdor were all enjoyable to watch.  The best thing about this series was the 15th Anniversary happened.  While it wasn’t as great as Forever Red..Once a Ranger was quite enjoyable. This one paid homage to rangers of the Disney Era and one from MMPR. To make this even better everyone they brought back (minus one) were rangers I loved. Most of them were my favorite ranger of the season. They had Bridge as the SPD Red Range (He was promoted from SPD Green), There was Tori Ninja Storm Blue....I wasn’t thrilled to see her, Kira Ford Dino Thunder Yellow (Played by the hotahotahota Emma Lahnna), Xander Mystic Force Green, and then on of my favorite classic rangers Adam Park MMPR Black (played by Johnny Young Bosch he was also Zeo and turbo green)...for those of you who don’t remember Adam he was the second Black Ranger after Zach (Walter Jones) left the show. Adam is my second favorite Ranger from the early era right behind Tommy (Jason David Frank).  This Disney Ranger dream team was brought together after Thrax..(who is the son of Rita and Zedd...which does mean the two of them had sex...excuse me as I vomit.) Thrax severed the Overdrive rangers link to the Morphing Grid (Which for those of you who don’t know is what gives every ranger the morphing powers.).  It is because of this that the new team of rangers are called to help. This is a great story in my opinion and even Tori is better then she was in Ninja Storm. I will also say this to the shows credit. The show took some silly ideas and actually went with them. The Power Rangers met Thor and Loki..and with how stupid it sounds...it was entertaining....stupid but entertaining.  However that is where the high points kind of run out.

What is wrong with the series....while I do like some of the big baddies of this series....there are just way to many of them. It would have been okay if they would have stopped at the brothers, but they just kept adding more to bad guys. at the end of the show we have 6 important bad guys not counting Thrax. Both Flurious and Moltor have there own foot soldiers the Chillers and the Lava Lizard. All of these characters just clutter everything up. The overall story is pretty meh as well. It’s pretty basic nothing really special just look for these stones that go to this crown and gives you power and stuff. As stated I don’t like the rangers. Especially the Alex Mack the Mercery Ranger.  I thought having a ranger who was an alien for no reason was pretty dumb...but whatever.

So let’s wrap this up with my final thoughts....skip this series...it’s not very good. Or even that entertaining. If you want to watch any of it go right to Once a Ranger two parter.  It’s the best thing in this season and the thing that bumps it above Ninja Storm. So that’s all I got for this review so it is time for me to....GO RANGERS GO RANGERS GO GO GO!!!......crap!  

No comments:

Post a Comment