Rummage through my stuff

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Power Placement: #14 Power Rangers Samurai


Okay so it’s time once again to talk about another subpar series of Power Rangers.  This series is the first to come from Saban since Power Rangers Wild Force (Even though some argue that it is a Disney era), and Samurai is very back to basics for them. It is a lot like early MMPR.  No real story, and just a monster of the week format. Along with the MMPR format even the main bad guy  Xandred complained of a headache every five minutes. So let’s get started with the rest of this.

Here have a theme song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BghzkHyP_kk

So lets start with my opinion on the theme song....As you can hear it's a remix of the first theme...which is great puts it heads above other Power Rangers themes but is not as good as the classic. Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking but honestly it just doesn't seem as good. However I will say I loved hearing it played during big battles. It was great having two giant things fight and hear Go Go Power Rangers in the background.

This story rundown isn’t going to take long. Master Xandred and his Nighlok’s come from the Neitherworld, and enter this world from gaps. This means they can enter our world from any crack or space between two object.  I find this to be a cool concept, because I can’t think of any possibly way to fix every single crack and gap.  They want to raise the Sanzu River, and flood the real world.  Xandred is accompanied by Octroo, Dayu, and Deker who I will talk more about later....well I will talk about Octroo now....I hate that little guy he was annoying, useless, and started every sentence Ooh Ah Ooh.  I could talk about the Deker Dyau sub plot here...but I am going to wait until I get to what I like/ don’t like about the show.

On to the costumes...and I do like them.  I like how the costume’s torso is mainly the main color. I like the black and white slash that goes across the chest and across the neck.  This makes them look kind of like robes. I like the all black pants, the main colored boots, and the white gloves.  I like the belts but what I really like is the helmets.  I think the Japanese looking symbols really fit the over all theme and look good.
 Who is my favorite Ranger.....well I would have to say the only one with Personality Antonio.  Antonio is the  Gold Ranger he was the only real ranger with personality he was fast he was strong and he was the tech guy. Then there are his flaws which included him making a ton of fish jokes (because he was a fisherman). He was Hispanic and kept trying to make that obvious by randomly yelling out magnifico or stuff like that.  Now these aren’t horrible things about him but it just kind of goes along with the acting and writing being sub par this season.

So who is my least favorite ranger....well I don’t like any of the rest of them but my least favorite is Jayden. Jayden had no personality outside of leader and was the only person who could stop Xandred.....OR IS HE! That’s right Jayden has a dark secret that will change the fate of the rangers forever....HE HAS A SISTER...who is also a red ranger. This secret is literally shown haunting him in a couple episodes even used as black mail, but whatever. To me Jayden was just a boring pretty boy with a dark secret. No personality, bad acting, bad writing, and a stupid pretty boy...least favorite ranger material if I’ve ever seen it.

Okay I am going to get what I didn’t like about this title out of the way. I didn’t like the rangers, I didn’t like the story, I didn’t like Xandred, I didn’t like Octoroo, and I didn’t like most of the Zords (They looked like they were made of Lego...and just looked ridiculous).  What did I like about it. Well one of my favorite things about this series was having Bulk back (even Skull at the end of the show).  Now Bulk was one of the best characters from the early days, and he still holds that perfection he had back then.  He is just as funny as he used to be. He was very enjoyable to watch and just see again in general. Also the cameo from Skull at the end of the season as very rich man had my nostolgia on overload. The next best thing was Deker and Dyau. They have a great back story and are actually very effective bad guys. Out of the two I would say Deker is my favorite. He is powerful, a great fighter, honorable (in an evil sort of way), and reminds me a lot of Nightmare from the Soul Caliber series. He has a very powerful cursed sword that is always hungry (Deker’s sword wants battle, Nightmare’s wants Souls.). Like Nightmare Deker was also once human who has been transformed into this monster form. Now besides all of that I like Deker because he is played by Rick Medina who also played Cole Evens the Red Wild Force Ranger. Dayu is a female enemy that shares a back story a lot like Deker. She was also once human turned monster. I won’t go into much about her...because I really don’t have much to say about her. Other then long ago human Deker and human Dayu (Named Dahlia) were once married and happy.  That lasted until Deker was dying and she sort of sold her soul to save his life changing both of them into Nighlok which also whipped Deker’s memory.

So it’s time to end this one. So I have to say this wasn’t as horrible as it might sound....but it wasn’t that good.  Not the best start to for the return to Saban, but what I have seen from Megaforce things look more promising. This was very much a call back to early MMPR. I am just hoping things get better from here. So that’s it let’s end this thing now. So long everyone reading I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment